Ernest Lindner was born on May 1st,
1897, in Vienna, Austria. Following his migration to Canada in 1926, Lindner
studied art in night classes under Augustus Kenderdine at the University of
Saskatchewan. He began teaching a night class for the Saskatoon Technical Collegiate
in 1931, where he eventually became a full-time instructor and Head of the Art
Department (1931-1962). He returned to Austria to take a Master course in etching
and stone lithography at the Akademie der Angewandten Kunst of Vienna (1959).
Lindner was extremely active in the local, provincial and national arts communities.
He was a member and President of the Saskatoon Art Association, one of the first
members on the Saskatchewan Arts Board, and a member of the first professional
society of artists in Saskatchewan.
Lindner worked full-time as an artist from 1962 to1988, and was known for his
engraving and his watercolours. His works have shown throughout Canada and internationally
at Canada House Gallery, in London, England, and at Canadian Cultural centres
in Paris and Brussels. Among the many awards Lindner received throughout his
lifetime, are a Honourary Doctor of Law Degree from the University of Saskatchewan
(1972), membership in the Order of Canada (1979), and a Life Time Award for
Excellence in the Arts from the Saskatchewan Arts Board he helped to establish
(1988). He passed away in Saskatoon in 1988.